On Monday, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan supervised the signing of several cooperation agreements between the UAE and Turkey.
The Turkish president is in the UAE for his first official visit in over a decade.
Sheikh Mohamed, who is also the Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, announced plans to quadruple commerce between the two countries at a meeting at Qasr Al Watan, the Presidential Palace.
Representatives from several UAE government departments, as well as their Turkish counterparts, signed cooperation agreements, memoranda of understanding, and protocols in the following fields: health and medical sciences; sea, land, and transport; advanced industries and technologies; climate action; culture; and economic partnerships.
Agreements were also reached on crisis and disaster management, meteorology, and youth issues. In addition, a statement of intent on defense cooperation was inked.
The following agreements exist between the two countries:
- A memorandum in the fields of health and medical sciences. The agreement was exchanged by Abdul Rahman Al Owais, Minister of State for Federal National Council Affairs, and Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- A memorandum in the fields of land and sea transport. It was exchanged by Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, Minister of State for Foreign Trade, and Adil Karaismailoğlu, Minister of Transport and Infrastructure.
- A memorandum in advanced industries and technologies. It was exchanged by Dr Sultan bin Ahmed Al Jaber, Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology, and Mustafa Varank, Turkish Minister of Industry and Technology.
- A memorandum on climate action. It was exchanged by Dr Sultan bin Ahmed Al Jaber and Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- A memorandum in cultural fields. It was exchanged by Noura bint Mohammed Al Kaabi, Minister of Culture and Youth, and Turkish Minister of Culture and Tourism, Mehmet Nuri Ersoy.
- 6- A joint statement of intent on initiating a comprehensive economic partnership. It was exchanged by Abdullah bin Touq Al Marri, Minister of Economy, and Mehmet Muş, Turkish Minister of Commerce.
- A memorandum in agricultural fields. It was exchanged by Mariam bint Mohammed Almheiri, Minister of Climate Change and the Environment, and Bekir Pakdemirli, Turkish Minister of Agriculture and Forestry.
- A memorandum in the field of youth. It was exchanged by Shamma bint Suhail Al Mazrouei, Minister of State for Youth Affairs, and Mehmet Nuri Ersoy, Turkish Minister of Culture and Tourism.
- A memorandum on crisis and disaster management. It was exchanged by Ali Saeed Al Neyadi, chairman of the National Emergency Crisis and Disasters Management Authority, and Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu.
- A memorandum in the field of meteorology. It was exchanged by Faris Muhammad Al Mazrouei, chairman of the board of trustees at the National Meteorological Centre, and Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- A media co-operation protocol. It was exchanged by Saeed Al Eter, head of the UAE government media office, and Farhan Altan, head of communications – Turkish president’s office.
- A letter of intent on defence co-operation. It was exchanged by Tareq Abdul Raheem Al Hosani, CEO of Tawazun Economic Council, and president of Turkish Defence Industries, İsmail Demir.
- A protocol of co-operation between the UAE’s National Library and Archives and the General Directorate of State Archives, affiliated to the Turkish Presidency. It was exchanged by Abdullah Majid Al Ali, acting director general of the National Library and Archives, and Dr Uğur Ünal, director of State Archives of the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey.