Trademark Ownership Modification in UAE
A change of ownership mostly occurs when you change the legal entity owning the trademark. The two most common types of change of ownership are change of name and change of business entity type. This could happen while your trademark application is being examined or after your trademark has registered.
- Change name: The owner of the trademark remains the same, but only the trademark owner’s name changes. The trademark owner can be an individual or a business. For example, Mary Tompson owns a trademark but changes her legal name to Mary Tompson due to marriage (the owner of the trademark remains the same but there is a change of name).
- Change of business entity type: The owner of the trademark remains the same, but the owner’s entity type changes. For example, OLY Inc. owns a trademark but later changes its business entity type to a limited liability company (the owner of the trademark remains the same but there is a change of entity type, from OLY Inc. to OLY LLC). OLY LLC must notify the UAE Trademark Office of the change in entity type.
Through this service, the trademark owner and/or appointed UAE trademark agent can submit a request for changing the name, title, occupation or nationality of the owner; or his chosen domicile for correspondences and documents relating to registration.
Trademark Ownership Modification as per Federal Decree-Law no. (36) of 2021
- The owner of a previously registered Trademark may, at any time, apply to the Ministry for introducing any addition or modification to the form of the Trademark, goods, or services provided that this does not significantly affect the substance of the Trademark. The Ministry’s decision in this regard shall be issued according to the procedures prescribed in the Implementing Regulation of this Decree-Law.
- The Ministry’s decision rejecting the addition or modification shall be governed by the provisions related to grievance and appeal stipulated in Article (13) of this Decree-Law.
- The Ministry may, on its own or at the request of the concerned party, add any statement that has been omitted to the register, or delete or amend any statement contained in the Register if it has been unlawfully entered or is inconsistent with the truth.
- The Ministry’s decision to amend a statement or delete it from the Register shall be governed by the provisions related to grievance and appeal stipulated in Article (13) of this Decree-Law.
The Expected Duration of Service Delivery
The expected duration of service delivery is 40 days.
- Filling application
- Application study
Official fees for trademark ownership modification required to pay to the UAE Trademark Office costs amount AED350.
Following documents are required to file the application of trademark ownership modification:
- Requestor details: Modified requestor name, phone, email, nationality, legal nature.
- Trademark details: Trademark name, Trademark name translation English/Arabic, Trademark type, Trademark class, mark description, class number, product explanation.
- Document attachments: Trademark Registration Certificate Copy, Document Indicating The Ownership Modification, Trademark logo, , Passport Copy, complete home address, Power of Attorney (notarized by the Notary Public & legalized by the UAE), Priority documents if any.
Are you looking to modify your trademark ownership in the UAE? Our expert consultant can advise on the cost in UAE and assist you throughout the modification process. Drop us a line at email@example.com or give us a call at +97144470880 Alternatively, you can schedule a complimentary consultation with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.